WRITING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS AND OTHER NEWS


This is a bit off topic, but it is applicable none-the-less. Sometimes as photographers we need to write. Whether it's simply blogging, and tweeting, or if you have a desire to write a book; writing is an essential tool. Unfortunately our photographs posted on the Internet is not sufficient to let people know we exist. So, we must write. I want to share with you my writing process.  Because I cannot afford an editor, like most small time writers I must edit and proofread my own writing. I believe as long as the article is coherent and easy to follow, most people will overlook the minor errors. Especially homophones (e.g. There, Their, They're). 

Initially, write what comes to mind and be consistent. Your readers will let you know if they like your articles. Because no one comments, does not mean your article is not well written, it's hard to get noticed. Some writers are lucky and get noticed quicker than others. Occasionally, ideas pop in my head so I try to capture them immediately. Write them down lest we forget. They may not all pan out, but we will never know if we can't remember. When we first begin writing, we have lots of ideas and pump out the articles. After awhile, the well begins to run dry. There are times I struggle and hit a roadblock. This is the juncture when it is easiest to say, I won't write an article. Admittedly I have done this in the past. The list below is not all inclusive, it's a starting point that can be built upon.

  1. Capture your ideas / thoughts. (Without doing this you do not have an article.)
  2. Put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. (Write first and organize later.)
  3. Concentrate on writing, not spelling or grammar. (Goes hand-in-hand with number two.) 
  4. When you hit a roadblock it's okay to walkaway and return later. (Sometimes one of those good ideas pop in your head.)
  5. Set realistic goals and deadlines. (Although it is best to to meet these objectives, it is better to delay for a short time; and produce a quality piece than to put forth a substandard article.)
  6. Edit, proofread, and edit. (Even though I am doing this constantly, I still make mistakes.) 
  7. Know when the article is finished. (And then edit, proofread, and edit.)
IN REVIEW: Two Accessories I am Glad I Bought
https://dannylbaker720.blogspot.com/2019/07/two-accessories-i-am-glad-i-bought.html
IN THE NEWS: BEST DRONES FOR PHOTOGRAPHY
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-10-best-camera-drones

It is estimated that DJI, a Chinese manufactured drone, dominates more than 70 percent of the Market. DJI's name stands for Da-Jiang Innovations. DJI manufactures some of the most capable drones in the world. (Self disclosure: I own a DJI Phantom 4.) I would say 3DR is closing in and they have collaborated with DJI, integrating their software.

Comments