House Cleaning (Purging Old Files)

Osoji (meaning big cleanup/cleaning) is a Japanese ritual performed at the end of the year. This is also a good time for photographers to do some osoji. For me personally, it is difficult to delete files (photographs). I tend to hang on, thinking that somehow the images will magically overcome the flaws, which, by the way, is the reason I never posted them or used them in the first place. And too, I believe maybe if I work with them in photoshop I will be able to make them useable. Not true, in both instances. So I come to the point where at the end of the year, I force myself to purge the files and make room for new ones. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely keepers. Below are two examples of images I struggled to delete up to the point I posted this blog. I really like the composition and the depth of field, but they are out of focus. So, it's off to never never land.




If you have been reading my blogs (I strongly encourage you to) one of my popular blogs is about CLOUD BASED STORAGE  If you follow my practice of osoji, and delete old files that haven't been used in years you will find this is an effective way to manage your storage space.

So how do I make the decision on what gets deleted. I've already categorized my folders, so I begin alphabetically, working my way through each folder until I've reach the last. As long as you approach this systematically, and make a commitment to the process, you will find it gets easier as you progress.

I always appreciate comments and reviews, you can follow my blog or follow me on Twitter: @DannyBaker0 Have a great Holiday Season!

Comments