Introduction To Drones: Last Updated By Author 08 December 2019


Whether you are a drone hobbyist or you would like to fly commercially, understanding the rules and regulations that govern the airspace, is a good idea. Education is a must before flying drones. In a nutshell drone pilots have the lowest priority in the airspace system. Drone pilots must yield to all manned aircraft including hang gliders. Visit the  Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) website https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/ and https://www.faa.gov/ to learn more. Also I added a link below in the News You Can Use segment with regards to understanding why education is important.



If planning to fly solely for recreational purposes, drone pilots are not required to be licensed. However, In order to fly a drone commercially, under the FAA's Small UAS Rules (Part 107), you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA. I have taken and passed the FAA Airman Knowledge Test. It's not a joke, and they do not hand the license out as a token. One must study. Simply studying the Part 107 rules and regulations will likely lead to failing the test. By chance I was speaking about my intentions and a co-worker who happens to be an airplane pilot, suggested I purchase an on-line training course. I was very fortunate to have that conversation (I Learned From That). Total cost for the course and exam will set you back approximately $400 - $500 U.S. dollars. The advice was free. 


Finally, this is my first drone blog. My theme is "I Learned From That". As I transition from DSLR photography and possibly blend both together, I will continue with my theme. I will post at a minimum twice a month. You can visit me on Twitter @DannyBaker0 there you will find various posts about photography, drone photography and me just rambling. Nothing political though. So please follow me on Twitter @DannyBaker0, send your comments/questions, and I will respond as soon as possible. Also you can follow my blog by clicking on the follow link. If you made it this far thanks! Until the next blog.


NEWS YOU CAN USE: https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/PR20171214.aspx






Comments