I Learned From That - Having a Cloud Backup is Essential

All computer users at one point in their life have experienced a software or hardware failure. We have often heard the phrase "Back up your valuable documents, family photographs, in the event your computer crashes." Most us heed this advice and use thumb drives, CD's/DVD's or an external hard drive. However, there are other options which make it easier to access your files, and they are readily available when the need arises. There are various Cloud Computing sites, so I will not promote one over the other. They each have value, and each user will use different systems for varying reasons. Some offer free storage, but you will have limited storage space. I use Dropbox, it is a very basic system but it does the job; and it works for me. I do pay a monthly fee because of the RAW and JPEG files I work with are large so I need more space than the free version allows. The importance of having an off site cloud backup system, first, is to protect your valuable files in the event your computer crashes. Secondly, you have the ability to access your files/photography library from anywhere. Whether using your smart phone, tablet or another computer, you will be able to access your files, download to your smart phone, tablet … and share a portfolio, or upload files. I was able to download the photograph below, import to my iPhone, which I later sent as a tweet @DannyBaker0
Although this happened to me several years ago, I believe the advice is still relevant today. When I upgraded my Windows software to Windows 10, I was using an external hard drive made by Western Digital to store all my files. Not knowing this would effect my ability to access my photography library, I proceeded with the upgrade,  and why not it was free. Unfortunately, when I completed the upgrade I could no longer access files located on the external drive from my Windows computer. I called Western Digital and they were aware of the problem, but in no uncertain terms, stated they will not be upgrading this particular external hard drive and suggested I purchase a newer model that supports Windows 10. I will spare you the details, but I eventually was able to access my files from my Mac. The process of uploading large files to my DropBox account was long and tedious. External hard drives are fine as long as your computer software supports them. But over time there are upgrades. By having an off site back up system provides easy access, and allows you to store valuable files without the worry of an upgrade, or your computer crashing. "I Learned From That".

Comments