Part II Tokyo Through Photographs: The Old

This is Part II of a multi-part series blog named Tokyo Through Photographs You can read Part I by clicking on the link. 

Tokyo is an enclave of areas. There are 23 wards, 26 cities, 5 towns, and 8 villages. They are easily accessible by train, subway, bus or taxi. You will find each are stylish and unique in their own way. This explains what I said in my previous blog, that it takes years to even scratch the surface of what Tokyo has to offer. 

Visit the Old: The Nihonbashi Bridge, tea ceremony, and telephones. The Nihonbashi Bridge dates back to the Edo Period. It was rebuilt in 1911 and stands in its' current form. Unfortunately the expressway above shadows what is one of Japan's most important bridges. I passed over this bridge a few times never understanding its' importance. 

Nihonbashi Bridge
Nihonbashi Bridge
Nihonbashi Bridge Plaque
                              Nihonbashi Bridge Plaque


As depicted in the below Ukiyo-e print by Hiroshige, Nihonbashi was a major trading area during the Edo Period.



Enter the tea ceremony: I've been traveling to Japan since 1988. The closest I have come to a traditional tea ceremony is watching it on television. I know, I am a little slow, let this sink in; I never watched the original Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory until I was 32. With that said, I have participated in quasi tea ceremonies. The tea ceremony dates back to the 9th century. It is steeped in tradition, and is an arrangement of steps that have purpose from the beginning until the ending.

Matcha
Hamarikyu Gardens Tea House




The New Old: I remember when cellphones were a fantasy. Watching the original Star Trek with Captain Kirk and Spock, they used a device called a communicator. I thought it would be centuries before we would be able to communicate like that. But now cell phones are in and phone booths are out. I remember calling my now wife, using the green payphones. I needed to have a pocket full of coins (Yen). I believe it was initially 10 yen to place the call, but soon I would need to insert more money. When visiting Tokyo, I occasionally see a phone booth which reminds me of the good old days. I often wonder if it will still be standing the next time I return. True to form just like the loyal dog Hachiko, amazingly, it is still there. Quite stylish I must add. Next up Part III.


Comments