Part I Tokyo Through Photographs

I've always been enamored with Tokyo. It's one of the most fascinating cities in the world. I say this from a perspective of experience. I have visited various cities in Europe, South America, North America and also Japan. In Tokyo you will find old and new, and everything in between. A city so diverse that you will find in the midst of a metropolis nature and wildlife. You will find streets lined with shops that are unique and cannot be found anywhere else. It is also an ever changing city. Tokyo has a metropolitan population of 37 million people, making it the largest city in the world. It encompasses 2,194 km847 sq. mi. There are only 38 countries in the world with a larger population. It's a city that takes years to even scratch the surface of what Tokyo has to offer.

So I take you to my first  experience of Tokyo. Other than Roppongi and the nightlife, visiting Tokyo Tower was a natural lure. I recall taking the long ride in the elevator to the main observation deck, and later to the top deck. The view of Tokyo from up high was astounding. In the bottom left of the below photography is the Zojoji Temple, and off in the distance, just below the cloud line is a faint glimpse of Rainbow Bridge. I traveled all the way from the United States and I wasn't disappointed.



Next up is food. It took me years to appreciate Japanese cuisine, particularly sashimi. I grew up in a small town in Iowa U.S.A. Meat, potatoes, and corn, along with bread was the main staple, and still is today. I didn't even eat raw meat, so I couldn't imagine eating raw fish. However, the care and time chefs spend making their specialty; is like no other in the world.  (Sorry folks just my biased opinion) The presentation is just as important as the preparation. It's an art form that takes years to master. As witnessed in the below photograph. Japanese Confection (Wagashi) is like no other, it is sweet yet delicate and leaves you completely satisfied. The preparation of sashimi is no different. From the selection of fish, that has several layers of taste, to the selection of the knife, great care is taken. Dip it in shoyu (soy sauce) which gives it a salty taste, and add wasabi (horseradish) giving it a little heat, as in spicy (karai) followed by a cold beer, and you are in heaven (gokuraku).


I know you will find this throughout Japan, but Tokyo is where I first experienced Japanese cuisine and various other events. I have several other blogs about Tokyo in the queue, so if you like this you will also enjoy the others. 

Comments