Do I have the Camera I Need

If I only had one of those expensive cameras I could take better pictures, is an expression I sometimes hear. This is partially true depending on your photography skills. Is it necessary to purchase an expensive camera to take quality photos? In reality no, it's not so much the camera as it is the eye behind the camera.

Years ago, I was at a local camera shop waiting to purchase a lens filter. Because it was a small shop, there was only one person working, who I knew was the owner. A gentleman appearing to be in his late 40's was holding a Canon Mark 5D. I don't recall the specific model, but at the time it was the latest and a photographers dream.  While conversing with the shop owner he indicated it would only be used during family events. I'm not sure of the outcome, because the shop owner noticed I just had a filter in hand, and he quickly made the transaction and I was off. I wonder if he made the purchase. Too bad we can't go back in time and he could read my blog. 😆

There are five questions, plus two that need to be asked, to determine, do I already have the camera I need.




1. Does the camera I have meet my needs. 
2. Is the camera used occasionally or family events.
3. What features do I want.
4. How much money can I afford to spend. 
5. Do I intend to use it to pursue a career as a photographer.

If the answer to the first question is no, move on to the remaining questions.

1. Do I want a camera system.
2. Do I want a point and shoot.

The above questions are a starting point that will help determine which camera fits your needs. 

Brand name is a personal preference, such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony; each are a fine camera. If you are purchasing a point and shoot, which is self explanatory, the cost begins at the low end between $99.00 USD and topping out at $999.00 USD.  For mid-range $500.00 upward to $1200.00. Some of these in this price range are camera body only, so you will to need to purchase the lens separately. For professional grade it starts at $1700 and goes upward. I'll briefly cover the different reasons why you should purchase a DSLR or a point and shoot. This should help determine which is the best option.

If you are purchasing a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) then once the decision is made, you have bought into that brand. Although you can purchase second party lenses such as Tamron, all lenses and accessories you purchase are for the most part not interchangeable with other brands. The DSLR is a very powerful tool for photographers. With all the accessories, lenses, tripods, flashes, this is just the tip of the iceberg. The DSLR will certainly give you flexibility to expand your range of photography skills. The various lenses available are extensive. 

The point and shoot, I'm including smartphone cameras in this category, does have some of the same functions/setting as the DSLR. But flexibility is limited. Although you can purchase Point and Shoot Add-On Lenses you will increase your cost which is one of the considerations to purchasing a camera. For the most part, people usually purchase a point and shoot because they do not want to be bothered with changing the settings. The point and shoot camera will perform this function for you. But it does have limitations. In general this fits the needs of what most people want. If photography is a profession you are pursuing I suggest purchasing a point and shoot to make sure this is something you are passionate about. 

Finally small cameras lend themselves to opportunities that may arise, with the benefit of not lugging around your DSLR. Also you don't freak people out with a big camera and lens when you want to snap a shot of your favorite dessert at a restaurant, such as the one below.  As noted this was taken with an iPhone 4S. Although credit must go to the baker an artisan in their own right, I still composed the shot. I must say not too bad for an iPhone camera.

iPhone 4S

So as you can see, purchasing a camera can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. If you follow the steps I have outlined, this will help you make the right choice. One final thought, expensive cameras produce high quality photographs true, but it will not make your photographs better. The only way to do that is master the art of photography.

Comments